My rainbarrels are full, even overflowing today.
I bought my rainbarrels two years ago from http://www.rainbarrelsandmore.com/: 60-gallon recycled food-grade barrels used to ship olives and pickles to the United States. There's a side brass spigot attachment, and at the bottom, I attached a dual-release valve with on/off toggles. If the rainbarrel is almost empty and the water level is below the brass spigot, I can still harvest water from the lower valve.
The lower valve also attaches to a soaker hose that winds through my garden like a black garter snake. I can flip a switch and walk away, and the rainbarrel will water my garden slowly and evenly.
I've been thinking about small acts of conservation for a long time. 20 years ago, a writer friend served me dinner with a folded bandana as a napkin. I loved the idea of cloth napkins--why is it we only see them in the fanciest restaurants?
Ever since then, I've used cloth napkins instead of buying paper ones. Think about it: How much paper waste can one person can diminish with just a small choice like that? My friends and family always feel special when they come over to eat. I might be feeding them chili, but the cloth napkins change everything.
I digress. As usual.
The rainbarrel lid twists off like the top of a jar. Rain enters the top through holes; the holes have aluminum screens to filter bugs, leaves, and debris. Sure, the smaller particles (pollen on the roof) get into the rainbarrell.
Did I mention the obvious? You don't drink water from your rainbarrel (nor do your pets).
People passing the house often stop and ask about the rainbarrels. ("Bootleg whiskey," my husband says.)
What's the point?
Over the past two years, I've harvested at least 3000-4000 gallons of water to use on my gardens. Maybe more. And all the money we've invested in landscaping since moving in? Our plants are flourishing. When we traveled to Rome, we left the soaker hoses on and came home to a verdant spring garden.
http://lisabsamalonis.blogspot.com/2009/06/recycling-ideas.html

Chrisine, This is wonderful use of food/liquid barrels for water conservation. I love it. Sounds like you're doing a great job on rainwater harvesting.
ReplyDeleteWould like to ask if you are collecting your rainwater from rain gutters that you channel via downspouts to your rain barrels? Pic seems so.
Just a friendly reminder to keep your gutters squeaky clean to not only alleviate additional home repairs but to harvest cleaner, clearer rainwater into your barrels more effectively. Hate cleaning rain gutters?
We did too, until we started using the Gutter Clutter Buster wet/dry vac attachment tool. It allows me to vacuum all debris, wet or dry, from my rain gutters while I stand firmly on the ground.
We save more money as well. No one to pay to clean them; no more water needed to clean out the gutters; can do them in almost 1/2 the time normally required by other methods; can empty the vac canister into my compost pile or around my plants for mulch, no added potable water need for those plants.
Visit with me at www.gutterclutterbuster.com and see for yourself, if this inexpensive newly invented, American Made, gutter cleaning tool is something you, your family or friends could use to make a nasty job easier and safer.
In the meantime, stay well, stay safe, stay strong and God Bless America.